Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal – Your New Friend in the Field
From modest beginnings as an Arkansas “Novaculite” stone company in 1886, Smith’s has consistently lead the knife sharpener industry for 125 years.
The reason for their success has been their single-minded focus to provide “customers and consumers with the best value in an easy-to-use and effective knife, scissors, and tool sharpening products.”
Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener is one in a large line of Smith’s products and is certainly one of the most convenient.
your toolbox, backpack, truck, or emergency kit.
The Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Sharpener features pre-set crossed carbides and ceramic stones, which provide the “Perfect Edge” every time.
Carbides provide quick edge sharpening, and the specially shaped ceramic stones are designed to give you a razor-sharp edge on either standard or serrated edges.
Both the carbide and ceramic stones are reversible and replaceable. A fold-out, tapered round, diamond coated rod is designed for sharpening serrated as well as standard edges.
The unit is compact, lightweight, durable, and comes with a lanyard hole for your keychain or a carabiner.
The Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener is easy to use, just run your knife through a few times and that’s it. Quick tune-ups in the field are a snap.
- Tapered Round Diamond Coated Rod for Sharpening Serrated and Standard Edges
- Carbide Blades (Coarse carbide Slot) Quickly Set Your Edge
- Ceramic Stones (Fine ceramic slot) Give You a Razor Sharp Edge
- Reversible and Replaceable Carbide and Ceramic Stones for Extended Sharpening
- Preset Sharpening Angles Provide Guaranteed Results
- Lanyard Hole for Carrying
The 600 grit carbide blades in the coarse slot provide quick edge setting capability for dull or damaged knives and are designed for use on straight edges only.
The 400 grit ceramic stones in the fine slot provide a smooth, polished edge for already sharp knives and can be used on serrated or standard blades.
Both the blades and the stones are reversible and replaceable. Rinsing in water is not recommended.
Pros and Cons:
Most owners and there are a lot, really enjoy the portability of this sharpener and the ability for them to use the sharpener in the field.
I tend to agree that this is the strongest thing in favor of the Pocket Pal. Users do recommend that this sharpener should NOT be used on fine knives, like your expensive kitchen knives.
Also, the angle of the sharpening is configured for field, hunting, and pocket knives, i.e. the angle is suited for durability. This is perfect for this type of sharpener and is something to keep in mind when considering how you will use your sharpener.
Here is a very good review and guide to use by Wayne Sadler. He does a great job reviewing the product so please be sure to check out his channel on youtube.
TO LEARN MORE:
- Chef’s Choice 220 Hybrid Diamond Hone
- Kyocera Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener for Ceramic Knives
- KME Knife Sharpening System
- Chef’s Choice AngleSelect M1520 Sharpener
- Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Sharpener
- Chef’s Choice 130 Professional Sharpener
- Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV Electric Sharpener
- The Lansky Diamond Sharpening System
- Wusthof Electric Knife Sharpener
- Work Sharp WSKTS-KT
- Wusthof Precision Edge 4 Stage Knife Sharpener
- Chef’s Choice Edge Select Pro Electric Sharpener M120
- Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker
- Gatco 10006 Ultimate Diamond Hone Sharpening System