Sweet potatoes are a delicious, healthy food that can be made in a multitude of ways. Just like a regular potato, they can be baked and eaten whole, or diced up into chunks and baked with olive oil, salt and pepper. You can even slice ’em into slivers and bake to make sweet potato fries! The possibilities are endless.
Any way you slice it: I like the OXO V-Blade Mandoline Slicer best.
If you do want to make fries, consistency is key. To get each piece exactly the same width, you either need to be an expert with the knife or get a mandoline. You’ll also keep your fingers safer while you get those perfectly even slices.
Cooks often use a mandoline slicer for these kinds of projects and more. Some slicers don’t quite make the cut though, so read on to see the best mandoline slicers available to tackle sweet potatoes and learn a few tricks to make it as easy as possible to cut up your sweet spuds.
OXO Good Grips V – Blade Mandoline Slicer
The unique V-shaped blade on the OXO cuts up sweet potatoes and other tough vegetables with ease. Its blade is designed to handle awkwardly shaped foods since all-natural ingredients don’t always come in perfectly round or square shapes to fit our appliances!
In addition to the V blade, it also comes with straight, wavy, and julienne options for maximum versatility, all of which are dishwasher safe. This multi-purpose makes it an all around great investment for your kitchen.
OXO also designed this mandoline slicer with safety in mind. It has a food holder to protect your hands and fingers and also has no-slip feet so it won’t slide around the counter while slicing. This unique slicer is a great value and can give you perfectly sliced sweet potatoes.
It’s a versatile product that brings out creativity when using it. It consists of the four blades, a height adjuster, and setting that allows you to choose the thickness of fruits and vegetables that you want. Also, it comes with a food holder that protects your fingers while holding the food and a rough textured surface that keeps the food from sticking to the surface of the mandoline.
- It has V-shaped blades that are strong which allows you to cuts different food of various thicknesses.
- The versatile blades produce crinkle cuts, vertical slices, French fries and julienne strips.
- The various setting allows you to adjust the slices to cut the food according to the thickness that you desire.
- It’s convenient to store on board for julienne, straight and wavy blades.
- It comes with a non-slip handle, and you are safe using it thanks to its turning knob
Benriner Japanese Mandoline Slicer
The Benriner is an affordable option that can handle sweet potatoes just as well as the more expensive mandoline slicers. It has a single, sharp straight edged blade made out of stainless steel for durability and performance, while the body is made out of BPA free plastic. The blade is angled, making quick work out of tough slicing jobs, and can also be adjusted to various widths. However, there are no measurements or markings on the device, so you’ll have to play around with the blade adjustments to get your perfect slice.
Besides the no-slip base of the slicer, there are very little safety features to the Benriner. While there is a large grip handle for comfort, there are no safety precautions for your hands and fingers. A no-cut glove might be a good idea when using this one.
Benriner slicer is the product that you’ll most likely to find in the chef’s bag because of its sturdy body, compact and sharp. It has the following characteristics.
- The Benriner is a quality slicer made in Yamaguchi, Japan. It’s the sharpest mandoline slicer you can purchase that gives professionalism in the modern kitchen.
- Its blades are made of stainless steel that is produced by compression, treating them at high temperature, and sharpening to give an excellent finish.
- It’s a reliable tool with adjustable blades that allows you to shred, slice, thread-cut, and julienne any vegetable.
- You can adjust the thickness of the slice to produce food of different sizes.
- It comes with the safety guard to protect your fingers from injuries.
Cuisinart Graphite Mandoline
Cuisinart has a huge line of kitchenware, and their mandoline slicer is a great addition to that list. It provides the most variety on our list in terms of cutting shapes and options because of its 4 stainless steel blades. There are also interchangeable straight edge, crinkle cut, or shredding options, as well as julienning abilities. For sweet potatoes, the slicer may not work on thinner settings but can handle them on the larger straight edged options.
This mandoline slicer also has great safety features, including no-slip feet and comes with a cut resistant glove. It also folds up and has a cover for safe storage.
However, some have complained that the blades dull fairly quickly with continued use, which shouldn’t happen with stainless steel material.
The Cuisinart has five cutting options that include the thick julienne, fine julienne, and shredding, straight cut and crinkle cut. It comes with food holders with inbuilt pushers. It has the following characteristics.
- The product is manufactured to cut and slice your food at ease, with elegantly designed food holders and adjustable blades
- It features exceptionally sharp edges that are made of stainless steel and high precision technology that is used to forge the Cuisinart’s food processor blades.
- The extra-ordinary holder pushes the food efficiently into the blade, and the safety cover will flip on the edges when not in use.
- It has five cutting options that will allow you to adjust the leverage to your desired thickness.
- The smooth grip handle offers comfort and holds the legs for secure storage.
- The non-slip feet hold the mandoline firmly on the surface ensuring stability when in use.
- The safety covers and available storage slots prevent the user from injuries that can be caused by the sharp blades.
- It has four adjustable steel blades with five cutting options that allow you to crinkle/edge cut, shred, thick and beautiful julienne
- The food holder comes with non-slip a pad that enables you to lower the food into the desired position.
- The interchangeable cutting runway enables the user to lock into lower and upper positions for use with various blade thicknesses.
- The product comes with cut resistant gloves which should be worn when operating the tool.
Kyocera Adjustable Mandoline Slicer
This mandoline slicer features a ceramic blade, which may work better for your sweet potato slicing needs. Ceramic cutting edges tend to retain their sharpness very well over time.
The Kyocera is a tough device, yet it is very easy to use. It only has four thickness settings, but it cuts through tough vegetables with ease. This slicer has even been criticized for leaving softer fruits and vegetables like tomatoes very rough and jagged. This bodes well for sweet potatoes, though.
It swiftly and efficiently slices vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and potatoes uniformly giving your food a beautiful presentation. The food moves smoothly into the sharp angled blade.
- It has a notch which is positioned at the bottom of the mandoline for stability, and a smooth ergonomic handle is comfortable to hold.
- Its ceramic blade doesn’t react with any food thus keeping them safe from food discoloration. Also, the sharp ceramic blade will not corrode, and it will retain its sharpness ten times better than the steel blade.
- The hand guard holds the food firmly and protects your fingers from injuries.
- It is easy to clean since the ceramic coating doesn’t absorb oil, food colors or flavors making it easy to rinse or wipe it.
OXO SteeL Chef’s Mandoline Slicer
Oxo has another great mandoline slicer you want something a little more professional grade than the V blade. This model has easily interchangeable blades and a knob that quickly adjusts the thickness. It comes with straight, serrated, and crinkle cut blades, as well as a julienne setting.
Some users have complained that the blades in this model often don’t reach the entire fruit or vegetable and leaves a pretty big chunk of food behind, but you can always slice that up separately. It’s a pretty pricey option but gives you decent results.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do mandoline slicers work?
They are also known as the food slicers. Mandoline slicers have two surfaces that are parallel to each other to allow food to slide across one surface and meet up with the other surface that has a blade which sits parallel to the food. The blade is set at a stationary surface and adjustments are made on the surface that holds the food so that you cut it depending on the thickness you desire. The quality of the food is increased since the slicer ensures that the food cut in uniform size.
What types of cuts are made by the mandoline slicers?
The slicers can cut food depending on the thicknesses of the food you want by adjusting the width of the slices depending on how far apart are the two surfaces positioned. Also, you can make julienne cuts by changing the different styles of the slicers. To make julienne cuts, you need to use the blade that’s positioned perpendicular to the slicing blade to make uniform strips of equal sizes. Besides, the slicers come with attachment blades that you can use to make decorative cuts, such as waffle and crinkle cuts which add the quality of the food.
What safety precautions should I take while using the mandoline slicers?
When used properly, the mandoline slicers don’t pose a danger to the user. It is a safe kitchen utensil. However, the slicers contain sharp blades that can injure you, so it’s advisable to use proper safety measures when operating them. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using it and don’t place your fingers anywhere near the blades when slicing. If you are distracted, under the influence of something, or on an insecure surface, then you should avoid operating it. The children stand at high risk of injury due to the sharp blades of the slicer. Also, exercise precautions when cleaning and handling the blades or reassembling the product. Besides, to ensure that you’re safe, wear cut resistant gloves while operating the mandoline slicer. With the standard safety rules, the mandoline slicer is easy and safe to use.
How can I clean my mandoline slicer?
Clean the slicers after every use. It makes easier to remove the food debris before it attached itself permanently on the parts of the slicer. You can disassemble it to remove blades and platforms so that you clean them independently. For thorough cleanup, it is recommended to use your hands and exercise great care when handling the blades because they are incredibly sharp. Some models of the mandoline slicers are dishwasher safe but read the manufacturers specifications before immersing it in a dishwasher. Models made of steel require oiling them to keep the slicers working at all time.
What type of food do the mandoline slicers cut?
The slicers can cut any food that is placed on the slicers, but most are used in cutting fruits and vegetables of various sizes. A mandoline slicer is an excellent tool that can be used to cut food that will be fried and stir-fried because it creates pieces of uniform sizes that cook evenly. Also, you can use it to chop vegetables, fruit and hard cheeses for salads and fresh arrangements. Besides, you can make a perfectly cut meal by the use of decorative blades that helps in creating a more beautiful looking meal.
If you’re in the market for a tough mandoline slicer that can handle all of your sweet potato dishes, you have a bunch of options to choose from. Pick the one that you’re most comfortable with and get cooking. In my kitchen, I’d go for the OXO V blade. The cost is perfect for the number of interchangeable blades and the safety features are great.