If you are looking for a trusted brand with high-quality cooking, baking, and kitchen equipment, we present to you Matfer Bourgeat.
Matfer Bourgeat is a family-owned business by a French Industrial Group, serving professional kitchens worldwide for 30 years and counting!
They have been in the culinary industry since 1814. Since then, Matfer Bourgeat has continuously provided different types of durable and hygienic kitchenware and great customer service to amateurs and professionals both.
Some of their best products include black steel pans that are incredibly strong and designed to last.
Before we dig deeper into the best Matfer Bourgeat black steel pans, let us first differentiate between black, or “carbon,” steel and cast iron.
Black steel cookware and cast iron are both very similar. However, black steel has more iron and lesser carbon than its counterpart.
Black steel is made of 99% iron to 1% carbon. On the other hand, cast iron usually has 2 to 3% carbon up to 97 to 98% iron.
Carbon-steel cookware is lighter compared to cast iron pans, yet both perform similarly. However, cast iron heats slowly while black steel cookware tends to reach its desired cooking temperature more quickly.
Cast iron cookware tends to retain heat longer, making it the best choice for frying and roasting. Black steel is perfect for sauteing vegetables, fish, and more.
One of the great strengths of both cookware is their ability to withstand extreme heat.
Professionals prefer to use a Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan for three major reasons: it has a long handle, it is lightweight, and it is so easy to maneuver! These are essential features for professional food service providers, where food preparation needs to be done as quickly as possible.
Since professionals rely on these pans, you can be sure that these pans will help you find success in the kitchen as well. Read this review so you can purchase the best Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan to suit your needs.
|Best Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Pans||Dimensions|
|1. Matfer Bourgeat 11-7/8 inches Round Frying Pan w/Iron Handle||11-7/8 inches in diameter|
|2. Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Fry Pan, 9 1/2 inches||9-1/2 inches in diameter|
|3. Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Fry Pan, 17 3/4 inches||17-3/4 inches in diameter|
|4. Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Crepe Pan, Skillet Style 7 inches||7 inches in diameter|
|5. Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Paella Pan, 17 3/4 inches||17-3/4 inches|
Matfer Bourgeat 11-7/8″ Round Frying Pan w/Iron Handle
This Matfer Bourgeat round frying pan with an iron handle is composed of black steel, making it a great heat conductor. It is 11-7/8″ in diameter and 2-1/8″ in height.
- It only weighs 4.7 lbs.
- It is extremely durable and can last for years.
- It distributes heat evenly.
- It has a high-quality iron handle that could not be destroyed easily.
- It has a nonstick coating.
- The Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan itself may be too small or big for you, depending on your preference
Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Fry Pan, 9 1/2″
The 9 1/2 inch Matfer Bourgeat black steel round frying pan is made in France. It passes their high standards of durability, hygiene, and performance.
This pan is perfect for various uses, whether it be cooking, grilling, or baking.
- It is made of nonstick material.
- Its steel handle is strong and secured.
- Its design prevents bacteria from being trapped, making it pass the sanitary aspect.
- It can withstand and maintain high temperatures.
- Its “angled” physical design is perfect for sautéing, stirring, and mixing food quickly.
- You may experience difficulty in seasoning the Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan without following detailed instructions.
Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Fry Pan, 17 3/4 inches
If you prefer a bigger black steel round frying pan, this 17 3/4 inch Matfer Bourgeat one is the best choice for you. You can do any cooking or grilling possible with this family-sized cookware.
- It has excellent temperature control and distributes heat evenly.
- It is light despite its size!
- It is naturally made of nonstick material.
- It works well with too high temperatures.
- It lasts long because of its durability.
- The Matfer Bourgeat black steel round frying pan may warp after months of use. It may wobble or easily spin once used.
Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Crepe Pan, Skillet Style 7 inches
We recommend this Matfer Bourgeat black steel crepe pan skillet if you prefer a smaller pan size of 7”. Like the others, the Matfer Bourgeat product is amazingly sturdy and made to last for a long, long time, no matter how much you use it.
- Its sloping skillet feature allows for an easier crepe pan shake. You can smoothly perform the jump-flip action.
- Its handle is designed to be of high-quality.
- It can withstand heavy-duty construction.
- It can be easily seasoned to achieve nonstick coating.
- The size may be an issue for those who wish to purchase a pan for various uses.
Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Paella Pan, 17 3/4 inches
If you love to prepare dishes such as Paella, Matfer Bourgeat’s black steel paella pan is what you need! Its size of 17 3/4 is perfect for large-sized gatherings.
- It is made of carbon steel, which is a natural mineral that promotes healthy cooking.
- It is nonstick once seasoned.
- It can withstand very high temperatures, making it possible to use on hob or stove types.
- It is designed to last long.
- It holds the equivalent to 6 to 8 servings.
- This product has received high ratings, yet a few users commented on how it warped after many uses.
How to Season a Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Pan
When seasoning a Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan, it is essential to follow each direction to ensure a perfect finish.
1. Before using the Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan, wash your pan under hot water using a mild detergent. Use a bristle brush to remove any protective coating, if needed. Dry your pan thoroughly.
2. Get together oil, salt, and some skin from a few potatoes. How much oil , salt, and potato skin will you need? That depends on the pan’s size. For example, for a medium pan, use 1/3 cup of oil, 2/3 cup of salt, and the skin of two potatoes. Saute all three ingredients on medium heat in your new, clean pan, stirring gently. Discard the ingredients after 15 minutes.
3. Repeat Step #2.
4. After Steps 2 and 3, reheat the Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan with a bit of oil quickly. Then, move it away from the direct heat and use a paper towel to dry the pan.
After your pan has been seasoned, use warm running water to rinse it out and wipe it dry with a paper towel or dry it by placing it on a hot burner until no dampness remains. Never use any dish soap when cleaning it, and do not let your pan air dry. If you follow these directions, your Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan will last for years and years.
When it comes to purchasing kitchen equipment, it is always best to invest in a brand that has long been in the industry with proven high-quality products and excellent customer feedback.
It is truly fantastic having Matfer Bourgeat products to choose from. Whether you are a professional or just a regular Joe who loves to cook and try new recipes, this company definitely has black steel pans that will work best for you.
However, remember that even when you have the best Matfer Bourgeat steel pan but do not take good care of it, it just won’t perform as well as it should. Make sure to clean and dry it properly every time to guarantee its long life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are Matfer Bourgeat pans made?
Matfer Bourgeat pans were first made in the Les Halles neighborhood of Paris, France, in 1814. Since then, the company has been committed to providing quality products to the culinary industry. It has expanded worldwide, having an American subsidiary of the Group, the Matfer Bourgeat USA. It has been successfully creating excellent pans in the industry for more than 30 years.
How do you season a Matfer black steel pan?
Wash your black steel pan using hot water and mild detergent. If you see any protective coating, brush it off using a bristle brush. Then, sauté oil, salt, and two potato skin. Ensure to identify which size your pan is to identify the right measurement of the ingredients. Sauté it for 15 minutes. Once finished, throw the sautéed ingredients after repeat step #2. For the finishing steps, you need to reheat the pan with a little oil quickly. To dry the pan, use a paper towel.
What is black steel cookware?
Black steel, also called carbon steel, is known for its following characteristics: it is lightweight and durable, has a fast head conductor, and spreads temperature evenly. It works well to cook almost any food, and it’s easy to handle. Moreover, it is more durable than stainless steel, copper, and any regular nonstick cookware. If you like to try to imitate how chefs cook on TV, you can do so with black steel pans!
Is carbon steel better than cast iron?
Carbon steel and cast iron are pretty much similar. However, they differ significantly when it comes to conducting and maintaining heat. Carbon steel pans can heat up and cool down faster than cast iron. On the other hand, even when cast iron pans heat up slowly, they are better when it comes to heat retention. Both have their own pros and cons, so it all boils down to what your cooking goals are. It all depends on your personal preferences.
Is black steel the same as carbon steel?
The only significant difference between carbon steel and back steel is galvanization, which carbon steel requires because it is prone to corrosion. Black steel, on the other hand, is from non-galvanized steel. However, both are similar for containing irons and other relevant constituents.