If you love cooking at home, slow cookers, also known as crockpots, are essential. They are best in helping you make delicious food with minimal preparation —fewer hours to spend in the kitchen!
They cook your food even when it’s unattended for long periods. You may ask, how does that even work?
Slow cookers cook your food at a consistent and controlled temperature over an extended period, with lids locking in moisture to produce tender, delicious results.
You only need to prepare the ingredients, throw them in, and allow the slow cooking process to bring the best flavors out of your dish.
The common misconception about slow cookers is that they are only good for making stews and casseroles. The truth is that slow cookers have evolved a lot over the years by integrating time-saving and multi-cooker features, making them versatile appliances. Today, you can sauté, brown, and steam your food with slow cookers!
Slow cookers are also budget-friendly. These low-wattage appliances use little electricity compared to your oven or stovetop. While providing a safe way to cook, they also do not heat up your kitchen but the food they cook makes your house smell wonderful! Even better, you can achieve restaurant-quality meals, as even cheaper cuts of meat can be as tender as you like through low and slow cooking.
The best thing slow cookers offer are convenience for those who do not have much time to spend in the kitchen. You can prepare meals and let them cook for hours safely while you’re at work or school. Lastly, crockpots are great for making low-fat recipes, since you can cook your food in broths or even poach or braise it.
One thing many cooks don’t realize is that slow cookers work best when filled to at least half of their capacity, but they should not be more than two-thirds full. Over-filling the crockpot can cause longer cook times, while under-filling them may result in overcooking.
But don’t worry! If you have a large family or like to cook large amounts at a time and need a large crockpot, you’ve come to the right place. This guide to the best large capacity slow cookers will help you find out which one will work the best for you and your family.
|Best Large Capacity Slow Cookers||Capacity (Quarts)||Our Favorite Features|
|1. Hamilton Beach 33480 8-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker||8 quarts||flexible programming options and automatically turns to warm setting after cooking time is up|
|2. BLACK+DECKER SCD1007 7 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker||7 quarts||locking wire system makes this great for transferring food without spills|
|3. Instant Pot Aura Pro Multi-Use Programmable Slow Cooker||8 quarts||versatile slow cooker lets you saute, bake, slow cook, steam, and more|
|4. Elite Gourmet Glas Slow Cooker||5 plus (0.75 mini) quarts||bonus mini dipper slow cooker|
|5. Crockpot SCCPVS600ECP, 6 Quart||6 quarts||digital countdown timer and convenient retractable cord for transferring food easily|
|6. Presto 06012 Nomad 8-quart Traveling Slow Cooker||8 quarts||perfectly designed for road trips and travel and is sturdy, preventing spills while in transit|
|7. Magic Mill 10 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot||10 quarts||programmable timer from 30 minutes to 20 hours|
|8. Cuisinart MSC-600 3-In-1 Cook Central 6-Quart Multi-Cooker||6 quarts||easy to use digital control panel|
|9. Taylor Swoden Programmable Slow Cooker||6.3 quarts||comes with steamer tray and grill plate for versatile cooking choices|
|10. MegaChef MCPR120A 8 Quart Digital Pressure Cooker||8 quarts||13 pre-programmed cooking options|
Hamilton Beach 33480 8-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
This Hamilton Beach product is a perfect extra large, stainless steel slow cooker for those who prefer either programmed or manual settings. You can program the cooking time for 30 minutes to 18 hours with low, medium, and high heat settings.
- The Hamilton Beach slow cooker is an eight-quart crockpot, so you can cook larger roasts and large cuts of meat.
- It has flexible programming options.
- It automatically switches to keep warm setting after cooking time is up.
- Hamilton Beach slow cooker is dishwasher safe.
- Cooking on the high-temperature setting in the Hamilton Beach slow cooker may be an issue
BLACK+DECKER SCD1007 7 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
We recommend this 7-quart Black Decker large slow cooker because of its digital controls, making it a convenient appliance. You can choose the time frame to cook your food, as well as the heat level.
- It has three temperature settings: low, high, and warm.
- It has locking wire system to lock and unlock and keep the inside closed. It lets you bring the crock pot safely anywhere.
- It is good for 8 plus servings.
- It is made of stainless steel, and it has a built-in lid holder to keep your countertop clean.
- This cooking pot does not have medium heat settings.
Instant Pot Aura Pro Multi-Use Programmable Slow Cooker
The 8-quart extra large Instant Pot Aura Pro is a stainless steel, nonstick, multi-programmable digital slow cooker with no pressure cooker function.
- This cooking pot is versatile. It has 11 smart programs, including sauté, bake, slow cook, steam, and so much more!
- You can customize the cooking time and temperature settings to achieve preferred results.
- It has a clear lid that lets you check on the cooking progress without opening the lid.
- It has a 24 hour “Delay Start” option that postpones your cooking start time.
- This cooking pot is more expensive compared to other slow cookers.
Elite Gourmet Glas Slow Cooker
The 5-quart Elite Gourmet slow cooker has an oval-shaped design with a stainless steel finish. It comes with a bonus Mini Dipper slow cooker. Both have a BPA free lids and cool-touch handles.
- It has adjustable temperature control settings, which include low, high, and keep warm.
- It is suitable for a whole chicken or large roasts.
- It is dishwasher-safe and has easy-to-clean features.
- The Mini Dipper is perfect for making dips, sauces, or soups.
- It does not have a timer feature, so it should be manually turned off.
Crockpot SCCPVS600ECP, 6 Quart
If you prefer a very easy to use slow cooker with convenient and digital slow cook features, this 6-quart Crockpot Single-Hand Cook & Carry portable slow cooker is perfect for you.
- It has a digital countdown timer with high, low, and warm temperature settings. It can keep warm setting once cooking is done.
- It has a cord-management feature that lets you transport the crock pot when desired easily.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- It can serve 7+ people.
- There may be thermostat issues with this crockpot.
Presto 06012 Nomad 8-quart Traveling Slow Cooker
This Presto 8-quart extra large traveling slow cooker is highly recommended for long road trips or potlucks. It has built-in cord storage that makes it more convenient for traveling.
- It has a swing-up handle for easy transport with spill-proof features.
- It has a clear viewing window to check the cooking progress.
- It is easy to use with the following temperature settings: high, low, and keep warm setting.
- It is designed to look like a “picnic cooler style” with cool-touch housing to avoid tip-overs.
- It does not get too hot, so it cooks food more slowly than other models.
Magic Mill 10 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot
The 10 quart Magic Mill digital slow cooker is programmed as easy to use with safe slow cook features.
- This cooking pot has a digital programmable timer from 30 minutes to 20 hours.
- It has three convenient temperature control settings: low, high, and warm. It automatically turns to keep warm setting after the cooking time is completed.
- The stoneware and lid are both dishwasher safe.
- It has full-grip handles to transport the crockpot easily from one place to another.
- The handles of this cooking pot can get extremely hot.
Cuisinart MSC-600 3-In-1 Cook Central 6-Quart Multi-Cooker
The 6-quart Cuisinart Cook Central is highly recommended if you prefer a multicooker with three fully programmable functions such as sauté, steam, and slow cook.
- The slow cook function features three temperature settings: high, low, and simmer.
- It has a 24-hour timer, and it automatically goes to keep warm setting after cooking.
- It is BPA free and made of nonstick aluminum.
- It has an easy to use digital control panel.
- The nonstick coating of this cooking pot may easily flake off.
Taylor Swoden Programmable Slow Cooker
The 6.3-Quart Taylor Swoden Programmable Slow Cooker allows eight different cooking choices. It is easy to use with its advanced digital display.
- You can sauté, steam, grill, stew, and more with this versatile model.
- It has a nonstick cast-aluminum crockpot, steamer tray, and nonstick ceramic coating grill pan.
- It is the right size to prepare food for large gatherings.
- This slow cooker is dishwasher safe.
- Some users note that this slow cooker suddenly stopped working after few uses.
MegaChef MCPR120A 8 Quart Digital Pressure Cooker
The 8-quart Mega Chef digital slow cooker is known for its various preset functions, making it a convenient pressure cooker.
- This cooking pot has a keep warm setting once cooking is done.
- It cooks 70% faster than an oven.
- It is made of high-grade stainless steel.
- It has 13 preprogrammed cooking selections. All you need to do is click your preferred option.
- It does not come with detailed instructions.
Slow cookers are great wonders in the kitchen. They help you manage your time while cooking delicious meals at the same time.
When choosing the best slow cooker, you need to consider the following: size, shape, and extra features.
Find a slow cooker that fits your meal plans. Large quart slow cooker lets you cook 7 or more servings. Also, an oval-shaped slow cooker is well-recommended for cooking roasts or whole chickens. Lastly, a good slow cooker’s extra features can keep your cooking experience easier. Figure out what is best for you in your kitchen and happy slow cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good size for a slow cooker?
Choosing the size of your slow cooker is essential to ensure it fits your needs. To help you decide which size suits your needs best, here is a simple guide:
- 1 to 3-quarts: These are small slow cookers good for small servings (one to two people) and perfect for making gravy, dips, or sauces.
- 4 to 5-quarts: These slow cookers are good for four to five servings.
- 6 to 7-quarts: Most slow cookers come in these sizes, as they’re perfect for a large family’s single meal, with possible leftovers.
- 8 to 10-quarts: These extra-large slow cookers are good for a large crowd. These sizes can handle large portions of meat and whole chickens.
Can a slow cooker be too big?
Believe it or not, the answer is yes. A crockpot can be too big if the size does not meet your regular needs. It is always best to know your preferences and meal plans, so you can identify easily which crockpot size works for you.
How big is a 5 quart slow cooker?
A 5-quart slow cooker usually has a dimension of 8.70 x 13.50 x 13.30 inches. It has a 4.7-liter capacity. It is an ideal size for a moderate group serving. With a 5-quart slow cooker, you can cook anything from stews to casseroles.
- Jessica Gavin: Great Tips and Tricks to Use with Your Slow Cooker
- CafeDelights: Slow Cooker Chicken
- BBC Good Food: Tips for Using Your Slow Cooker