Both the electric meat slicer and the deli sandwich became popular in the early 20th century. A Dutch butcher, Wilhelmus Adrianus van Berkel, opened the world’s first meat slicer factory in 1898.
Cut to the chase… I like the Beswood at Amazon.
The Rotterdam facility cranked out almost 3,000 slicers before 1909, when Berkel opened another factory in Chicago. This innovation, coupled with the sandwiches being produced further east, launched what some consider the great 20th century sandwich renaissance.
OK—I think I might be the only one to acknowledge such a rebirth on a roll. Regardless, deli meat sandwiches are still one of the most popular sandwiches in the world, and certainly across the United States. No longer limited to corner delicatessens in South Philly, hoagies and the like have spread to all corners of the world.
Truth be told, meat slicers are not meant solely for butcher shops. In large gatherings or even on regular days where there is an abundant supply of meat, hand-slicing is not ideal. It is tiring and inconvenient. Plus, it’s challenging to keep your cuts the same throughout.
That said, you probably need a quality meat slicer to help you achieve both sandwich perfection and meal prep convenience at the same time. There are several varieties of meat slicers, manual or electric, and you can also set the desired meat thickness on all of them.
Without further ado, we will help you find the best meat slicer for home use that works best for your kitchen preferences. Read on.
|Best Meat Slicers for Home Use||What We Have to Say|
|1. Chef'sChoice Electric Meat Slicer||removable parts make this model easy to clean|
|2. Maxi-Matic Elite Platinum Ultimate Precision Electric Deli Food Meat Slicer||the Maxi-Matic can slice meats from razor-thin to half-inch thick slices|
|3. NESCO Stainless Steel Food Slicer||this slicer has a built-in power switch for safety|
|4. BESWOOD 10 inch Premium Chromium-plated Carbon Steel Blade Electric Deli Meat Cheese Food Slicer||the Beswood is our favorite overall meat slicer for home use|
|5. OSTBA Meat Slicer 200W Electric Deli Food Slicer||this model has non-slip feet to keep it in place during usage, as well as a child lock|
|6. Kalorik 200-Watt Electric Meat Slicer||the Kalorik is able to tackle slicing even frozen meats|
|7. CUSIMAX Meat Slicer Electric Food Slicer||this machine is both durable and easy to maintain|
|8. Anescra 200W Electric Deli Food Slicer||the Anescra comes with safety features such as child lock protection and strong suction rubber feet to ensure stabilization|
|9. AICOK Meat Slicer Electric Deli & Food Slicer||the AICOK is a great addition to a smaller kitchen, as its compact size means it takes up less space and you can store it anywhere|
|10. Techwood Electric Food Slicer||this model's 200-watt AC motor allows fast cutting of meats and other deli products|
What is a Meat Slicer?
A meat slicer, also referred to as a slicing machine, deli slicer, or a slicer, is a kitchen tool often used in both butcher shops and delicatessens for slicing meats, cheeses, sausages, and other deli products. The use of a meat slicer is convenient for shops as it requires less effort and ensures consistent food texture.
Who Needs a Meat Slicer for the Home?
Although you may cut your meats, cheeses, and sausages with your quality knife at home, there is nothing more advantageous than having your own meat slicer. The best privileges of meat slicers at home include:
- Efficient. Even if you slice meats every day, you will never be as fast as meat slicers. They do the job swiftly! Thus, you can save time and effort and perform other essential household activities.
- Consistency. Meat slicers help you achieve uniform slices according to your liking.
- Easy To Use. There is no need to learn technicalities, as using meat slicers is as easy as remembering letters A to Z.
- Saves Money. Instead of buying pricey sliced products, you can opt for buying chunks of meat. Meat slicers will do however you like it.
Here are some factors to consider when buying a personal meat slicer:
Generally, the more power the machine has, the better. High-powered meat slicers can slice a large amount of different types of food with ease. If you intend to slice a lot of cheese or frozen meats with your meat slicer, definitely get a higher-powered unit, since these are the toughest foods for a typical meat slicer to get through. In general though, a model with at least 130 Watts is going to handle most food types fairly well.
Another power element to consider is the type of motor. Some are gear-driven while others are belt-driven (or both). Gear-driven motors tend to be more powerful, allowing them to handle a wide range of foods, but they’re much noisier than belt-driven motors, which are great for lean meats and simple slicing projects.
Meat slicers usually come with either a serrated or smooth blade. Each is beneficial in its own way, but if you know what types of food projects you’re specifically looking to accomplish, you’ll want to take this into consideration.
Serrated blades are great for bread or meat (thicker foods), but they don’t cut vegetables as cleanly as you might like. Non-serrated blades work best with lean meats and vegetables, but don’t cut through tough meats or breads nearly as easily.
Slice your own meat. Make your own bread!
I found the best bread maker for sourdough.
You can also consider buying an extra blade for your meat slicer that you can switch out so that you have both options available.
Ease of Use
You’ll definitely want to consider how easy your meat slicing device is to use before deciding to buy it. Some factors to consider include it’s carriage. If it has a small carriage and you’re looking to slice large slabs of meat, you’ll have to cut the meat up first in order to get it to fit. You’ll also want to see if it has some sort of tray underneath the slicing apparatus to catch the sliced meat, making the gathering and organizing portion of meat slicing easier for you.
Cleaning your meat slicer is also incredibly important, as skipping this step can lead to contamination. Most meat slicers need to be disassembled in order to clean thoroughly, so you’ll want to take that into consideration as you’re looking to buy.
The most important parts to clean are the carriage and the blade, so you’ll want a carriage that swings out or comes off, and a blade that has some sort of safety mechanism for removing it from the machine.
Some models actually come with parts that can actually go in the dishwasher, making the whole process a lot easier.
The motors for meat slicers can get very noisy. If you’re sensitive to noise, you might want to consider a quieter model. Most reach about 70dB, and can get louder as they keep working and the motor runs faster or works harder.
There are a few very important primary safety features to keep in mind when looking for a meat slicer for your kitchen. A recessed power button will make it harder to accidentally turn on if you’re planning to move it around a lot or if you have children.
I make my grilled turkey melts in a cast iron skillet.
Here’s a post on the best place to get your cast iron.
Also look for a hand guard system, which puts a sturdy barrier between your hand and the blade. A blade lock function can also be useful if you’re not planning on using the slicer too often. You’ll also want to see if the machine has rubber padding on the bottom so that it can safely and securely mount to your countertop.
Along with all of these features, also make sure to read and understand all manuals and instructions thoroughly before using your meat slicer, so that you’re sure you’re using it in the safest and most effective way possible.
A meat slicer can be a somewhat pricey investment. This means that you’ll want one that lasts as long as possible and doesn’t need repair often to get the most bang for your buck. Metal materials tend to last longer than plastic counter parts, and stainless steel is the most reliable although it is the most expensive option.
Obviously, price will be a factor in your final decision. Price usually depends on the features described above, including power, materials, safety features, and more.
Hoagies for the home
For those of us not graced with the presence of generations-old delicatessens down the street and around the corner, modern technology has made it possible to enjoy paper-thin sliced meats stacked sky-high on rye in the most un-kosher of environments. So long as you can get decent meat, cheese, and bread, you can certainly make a fine hoagie or Reuben at home, with the right slicer.
Need to trim your meat as well? Check out my favorite trimming knives.
Although the basic model of the meat slicer has not changed too much from Berkel’s original machine, modern innovation has evolved the slicer and extended its ability and use to adapt to the home market. With any number of quality home meat slicers on the market, virtually anyone can make a deli-grade sandwich in their own kitchen.
If you also regularly smoke your meats, check out these awesome probe thermometers for that.
The Best Meat Slicers for the Home
Let’s say you’re pretty interested in slicing your own deli meat and cheese (maybe with some vegetables, for good measure…), but don’t run a deli and therefore don’t want to shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a hulking machine to take up your entire kitchen counter. Here we have compiled a list of some of the best meat slicers for home use.
10 Best Meat Slicers for Home Use
The Chef’s Choice 615A Electric Meat Slicer is a popular product for home use for its “light” heavy-duty cutter. It features excellent design, power, and control for cutting all sorts of deli meats. It’s actually so durable that it can handle light commercial use, as well.
- It is made of a premium stainless steel material, making it a durable meat slicer that lasts for a long time.
- This electric meat slicer features a powerful motor, which is great for tough meats.
- It is easy to clean due to its removable parts.
- This electric meat slicer may have difficulty achieving the thinnest cuts.
The Maxi-Matic Electric Deli Food Meat Slicer is perfectly designed to save you money, time, and effort, as this meat slicer is sturdy and safe. There’s no need to shop for sliced meat and cuts, as you can easily slice them like a professional at the comfort of your home.
- It has an ultra-sharp 7.5-inch stainless steel blade, which is rust-proof and removable.
- It features an adjustable thickness option. It can slice razor-thin slices to half-inch thick slices easily.
- It is easy to clean since you can easily take out the stainless steel blade.
- This meat slicer tends to be a bit loud during usage.
This NESCO FS-250 Stainless Steel Food Slicer is noted to have one of the market’s highest powdered motors. It comes with an excellent blade to perfectly cut meat and deli products, too.
- It has a 180W motor, meaning it can slice thicker meat pieces quickly. Its blade’s edge has a serrated shape, perfect for cutting tougher cuts of meat.
- It has a stainless steel blade and aluminum food press, ensuring its durability and safety over the years.
- This meat slicer has a built-in power switch for safety.
- There is no smooth blade option available for this stainless steel meat slicer.
The BESWOOD 10″ Premium Chromium-Plated Electric Meat Slicer is one of the best meat slicers that’s not only perfect for home use but also for commercial use as well. It is a pretty heavy slicer, as it weighs a whopping 35 pounds. There’s certainly no question about its durability, as it’s made of stainless steel and aluminum. If you need a tough slicer, this is the one: this model can process even semi-frozen meat.
- The blade of this meat slicer is made of carbon steel and coated with chromium. These materials protect the blade against corrosion and maintain its sharpness.
- It is designed to have a low noise level due to its V-shaped feeding motor belt.
- It features a large 10″ blade, perfect for slicing big pieces of meat into the thinnest slices.
- It is challenging to remove the blade for cleaning as you need to unscrew it from the slicing machine.
The 200W OSTBA Meat Slicer is the perfect choice for those who need a bigger slicer at a reasonable price. It cuts consistently and persistently like a professional chef would. Plus, you can easily adjust your preferred meat thickness with this model.
- This meat slicer is easy to clean because of its easy to remove parts.
- It is designed to have built-in safety protection to avoid accidents, including non-slip feet to keep it in one place as well as a child lock.
- It has a durable stainless steel blade and food carriage.
- This meat slicer is noted to be noisy during use.
The Kalorik 200-Watt Electric Meat Slicer is known for its versatility in slicing meats, bread, sausages, cheeses, and more. Since it is one of the most trusted brands, it guarantees a 1-year manufacturer protection to its users for peace of mind.
- It has a 7 and 1/2 inch serrated stainless steel blade, which features a safety device for blade-locking.
- It has thickness control settings, and it can also cut even frozen meats.
- It is made of aluminum alloy, which will help this machine last for years.
- Cleaning this meat slicer is challenging.
CUSIMAX Electric Meat Slicer is an all-in-one meat slicer that is perfect for both commercial and home use. It can process meat all day long without signs of damage or overheating. It is a high-end model at an affordable price.
- It has a sharp stainless steel blade, which can be used in cutting several products, including tough cuts of meats.
- It has easy thickness adjustment settings to help you achieve any thickness of meat.
- It is durable and easy to maintain.
- The motor may run more slowly after several uses.
The Anescra 200W Electric Deli Food Slicer is a perfect choice for those who want a variety of blades. This best meat slicer comes with two 7.5-inch stainless steel blades for different purposes. The serrated blade cuts raw food, while the non-serrated blade cuts cooked ones.
- It has a 200-watt motor to slice meat quickly and efficiently.
- It has removable parts for easier cleaning after each usage.
- It comes with safety features such as child lock protection and strong suction rubber feet to ensure stabilization.
- The meat slicer may be a bit expensive for those who are looking for an affordable yet quality one.
The AICOK Meat Slicer is a great addition to a smaller kitchen, as its compact size means it takes up less space and you can store it anywhere. Plus, it’s perfect for both home and commercial use. It’s made of aluminum and has a removable blade for easy cleaning.
- It has a built-in thickness control to adjust meat thickness according to preference.
- It has an extremely sharp blade made of chromium-plated carbon steel.
- It has a 150W motor which yields high-slicing power.
- Read and follow the manual carefully to avoid damages and accidents.
We recommend trying this Techwood Electric Meat Slicer with a 200-watt AC motor and a 9-inch stainless steel blade. It can cut a variety of food, including the larger and tough cuts of meat, saving you time and effort.
- The stainless steel blade is removable for easy cleaning.
- There is a thickness adjustment setting to help you achieve your desired thickness.
- Its 200-watt AC motor allows fast cutting of meats and other deli products.
- This meat slicer may slide on counter during usage.
Tips for Using a Meat Slicer for Home Use
- Meat slicers are not exclusive to meat products only. You can actually use meat slicers to cut similar slices of onions, pepper rings, lettuce, and many more. Just think of it this way: if a knife can cut it, then a meat slicer most probably can.
- Use a serrated blade for cheese and bread. Less sticking and less mess is possible with a serrated blade.
- Never force the meat slicer. Let the meat slide through on its own, and let the meat slicer do its job.
- The colder your meat or food is, the better the meat slicer will work. Frozen meat is a different story. Some meat slicers can handle frozen products, but most do not. Therefore, it is best to check what your meat slicer can handle and stick to it.
- It is best to choose meat slicers with removable parts, so you won’t have a hard time cleaning them after use. And of course, it’s always safer and healthier when your meat slicers are clean before using them, since you are often using them on raw food.
Sliced and enticed
You don’t have to stress yourself when slicing your favorite meats. It does get frustrating at times, relying even on your own best set of knives. This is why you’ll appreciate having your own meat slicer for home use.
With any of the high-quality home meat slicers above, you can replicate world-class deli sandwiches anywhere in the world. After purchasing one of these slicers and all of the necessary ingredients, you’ll be serving up sandwiches faster than you can spell delicatessen.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good meat slicer for home use?
Among the 10 best meat slicers, the BESWOOD 10″ Premium Chromium-plated Carbon Steel Blade Electric Slicer stands out. Users approve of this meat slicer because it can achieve even the thinnest slices without any hassle. It comes with multiple safety features, and it cuts the meat evenly. Its greatest advantage is that it’s quiet, despite all the work it does! If you’re eager to find the best meat slicer, this is probably the one for you.
Is buying a meat slicer worth it?
Yes, buying a meat slicer is worth it. You may think it’s only worth the money if you’re buying it for commercial use, but it’s fine to have your own at home. A meat slicer helps you save time, money, and effort. Instead of buying sliced meat, you can buy larger, cheaper cuts and use the meat slicer to slice them however you like. It helps you manage your time as it is precise, fast, and efficient. The best part is, it can produce the thickness of your liking through its adjustable thickness settings.
How do I choose a meat slicer?
When choosing a meat slicer, there are factors you need to consider before making the final decision. First, you need to find the meat slicer that fits your preferences. Go through the list of our well-recommended products. Read the pros and cons. You’ll find a product that best works for you. Secondly, choose one with stainless steel blades, keeping in mind what size blades you need. Lastly, check its safety features and find out what kind of maintenance it will need before you buy.
Will a meat slicer cut frozen meat?
It all depends. There are some meat slicers that are designed to cut frozen meat and products, but most of the meat slicers do not. Semi-frozen would be a safer choice; it’s best to keep meats and other products cold when slicing them. Cold meats help meat slicers perform their job best. If you model won’t cut frozen meats, then it’s recommended that you defrost them first.
Can you use a meat slicer to cut the cheese?
Yes, you definitely can use meat slicers to cut cheese. Meat slicers are not only limited to slicing meat. In fact, anything that you can cut with a sharp knife can be processed by meat slicers. The best thing is, they require less effort. Aside from cheese, you can use meat slicers for cutting vegetables and bread, as well.
- Smoking Meat Forums – Best Meat Slicer for Bacon or Brisket
- Egghead Forum – Anyone have a meat slicer for bacon they like?