Pancakes are, arguably, the quintessential crowning jewels of breakfast royalty.
From a basic buckwheat and oat base to eccentric fruit fusions, nothing quite greets the day like a big stack of pancakes.
These affordable, easy to make treats have existed in various forms for thousands of years. Ancient Greeks ate pancakes, often sweetened with honey.
Elizabethans enjoyed their pancakes with rose water, sherry, and spiced apples. Indicators of pancakes were found in the remains of Otzi the Iceman, one of modern man’s strongest links to the Neolithic era.
The lexicographic influence of pancakes is also remarkable: the expression ‘flat as a pancake’ dates all the way back to 1611, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.
Pancake Griddle Buying Criteria
Once all the components of the pancakes are selected, take these factors into consideration when you are thinking about buying a griddle:
- Surface Area – how many square inches of surface will determine how many batches you can crank out at a time.
- Heat retention – is important, an even heating surface that does not vary much in temperature is crucial to getting an even sizzle.
- Shape – circular, rectangular. While there are some quality circular models available, many griddles are square or rectangular.
- Storage – speaking of size, Electric griddles conveniently do not take up room on the stovetop, but where does it go when breakfast is over?
- Material – Cast aluminum is popular with electric griddles, as it heats up rapidly. Cast iron is a popular choice for stovetop griddles, as it retains heat really well.
|Best Griddle Pan for Pancakes||Surface Area|
|1. Victoria Round Cast Iron Grill||122 sq in|
|2. Presto Cool Touch Electric Griddle||168 sq in|
|3. Farberware High Performance Nonstick Griddle||210 sq in|
|4. Cooksmark Copper Griddle Pan||121 sq in|
|5. NutriChef Nonstick 12-Inch Electric Crepe Maker||113 sq in|
|6. Lodge LSRG3 Cast Iron Single-Burner Reversible||110 sq in|
|7. BLACK+DECKER Family-Sized Electric Griddle||200 sq in|
|8. Presto Slimline Griddle||286 sq in|
|9. Broil King PCG-10 Professional Portable||252 sq in|
Solving the Griddle Riddle
1. Victoria Round Cast Iron Grill. Double Burner Griddle, with Removable Coil Handles Seasoned with 100% Kosher Certified Non-GMO Flaxseed Oil, 12.5 Inch, Black
If you want the best griddle pans for pancakes and for other food, the Victoria Round Cast Iron Grill is an excellent choice. It shows versatility for its multipurpose use. It has the perfect size of 12.5 x 13.5 x 2 inches for pancakes, burgers, veggies, tortillas, and indoor grilling. This griddle pan features easy-grip handles and a flat, reversible surface: smooth side and the grill side. Therefore, you can freely choose with side to use for a safe, healthy, and convenient indoor or outdoor grilling.
- The Victoria Reversible Cast Iron Round Griddle features removable cool-touch handles, which won’t burn your hands.
- Durable cast iron lasts a lifetime and provides excellent heat retention for an evenly cooked pancake.
- This griddle pan is pre-seasoned with flaxseed oil, meaning it will be non-stick from day one. Plus, it is healthy!
- This cast iron griddle pan may be too heavy for a person to carry.
The Victoria Reversible Cast Iron Round Griddle features removable cool-touch handles, which won’t burn your hands.
Durable cast iron lasts a lifetime and provides excellent heat retention for an evenly cooked pancake. This griddle is pre-seasoned, meaning it will be non-stick from day one.
2. Presto 07047 Cool Touch Electric Griddle
The Presto 07047 Cool Touch Electric Griddle is an exemplary electric model. It is made of a premium nonstick surface for easy cleaning and stick-free cooking. Its rectangular design maximizes usable surface area, meaning you can cook numerous pancakes at once, to meet any home need.
Don’t be misled by the presence of electronics—this whole griddle is submersible, allowing for quick and easy cleaning.
The control master heat control maintains proper cooking temperature automatically, removing any guesswork from making the perfect pancake.
Its rectangular design maximizes the usable surface area of 20 x 12.9 x 3.6 inches, meaning you can cook numerous pancakes at once to meet any home need. Also, it has enough space to add sausages, hot dogs, or some buns for cooking. Therefore, preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner should not be much of a hassle with this one.
This electric griddle also features heat control to ensure safe cooking and a removable drip tray for easy cleaning. You can use this, too, during large gatherings to keep food warm due to its modern exterior design.
- This whole griddle is submersible, allowing for quick and easy cleaning. Thus, don’t be misled by the presence of electronics.
- The master heat control maintains proper cooking temperature automatically, removing any guesswork from making the perfect pancake.
- Durable cast aluminum cooking surface heats quickly, allowing you to get cooking quickly!
- It is best to follow instructions on how to properly use this griddle pan for the best results.
3. Farberware High-Performance Nonstick Griddle Pan/Flat Grill, 11 Inch, Black
The Farberware High-Performance Nonstick 11-inch Square Griddle has everything you need in a griddle. This aluminum griddle pan allows fast heating for quicker cooked pancakes. Its square design allows for maximum usage of the surface area of 19.5 x 10.75 x 4.5 inches, making it the best pancake griddle.
Since it is nonstick, you can expect a durable, high-quality, easy-to-clean griddle pan that will last for years. It is also oven and dishwasher safe, so you don’t need to look for alternatives. Its unique exterior makes a great addition to your kitchen essentials, too.
- The solid cast aluminum material is entirely nonstick and heats up quickly, facilitating rapid pancake production.
- Additionally, this griddle and handle are entirely metal, meaning it can be used as a tray in the oven and the stovetop.
- This premium nonstick griddle is easy to clean as it is also deemed to be dishwasher safe.
- Some users complain of warping and surface peeling after a few uses.
4. Cooksmark Copper Pan 11-Inch Nonstick Copper Ceramic Griddle Pan with Stainless Steel Handle, Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe PTFE, PFOA Free
The Cooksmark Griddle pan is made of copper nonstick coating and aluminum, making it a durable griddle for lifetime use. There is no worrying about scratches as it is designed to scratch-resistant to maintain its classic exterior over the years.
This 11-inch griddle pan is large enough to accommodate several pancakes and other grilling food items. Since it has a nonstick coating, pancakes and other food can easily slide off the griddle which saves much oil and butter in the process. Also, this Cooksmark Copper Pan allows easy cleaning as it is suitable for dishwashers.
- Its nonstick copper coating prevents your food from sticking onto the surface of the griddle pan.
- An aluminum core is perfect in protecting the pan from rusting and also gives maximum heat retention.
- The nonstick coating makes it possible for you to use minimal oil while cooking pancakes, making it economical.
- It is oven safe and dishwasher safe, too.
- The copper coating may start chipping off once it comes in contact with particular ingredients.
5. NutriChef Electric Griddle & Crepe Maker | Nonstick 12 Inch Hot Plate Cooktop | Adjustable Temperature Control | Batter Spreader & Wooden Spatula | Used Also For Pancakes, Blintzes & Eggs
This 1200-watt Nutrichef All-In-One Electric Griddle and Crepe Maker is made of aluminum and heavy-duty cooking hot plate. Thus, you can trust its durability over time.
This electric griddle pan helps you regulate heat when making pancakes or crepes, resulting in the best-tasting food recipes. Although it is not that broad enough, its 12 x 12.9 x 2.4-inch surface lets you include pieces of bacon and other breakfast food all at once. Its main feature includes the LED indicator to easily check on your cooking process.
- It has an LED indicator light that lets you monitor the presence of heat on the pan.
- It comes with a wooden spatula and batter spreader, helping you make pancakes or whatever you love.
- You can easily achieve your desired temperature by merely turning the knob of this electric griddle.
- Some users note how the control knob of this electric griddle can easily come off.
6. Lodge LSRG3 Cast Iron Single-Burner Reversible Grill/Griddle, 10.5-inch
This Lodge Cast Iron griddle pan has two sides, one ribbed and the other flattened for easy outdoor or indoor cooking. You can use this griddle pan on a stovetop or in an oven to produce perfect pancakes.
Some of its notable features include a smooth section for eggs and bacon and a broad surface that measures 15.18 x 10.5 x 0.75 inches. Plus, this cast iron pan has easy-grip corner handles to ensure easy lifting, hanging, and flipping.
- It has an iron cast grill that provides even and fast heating for your pancakes.
- It has two corners with comfortable grip handles that let you lift it with ease. You can also hang the pan when not in use.
- It is dishwasher safe. Always use a towel to dry it after use.
- Although you can easily move this around because of its handles, this cast iron griddle pan is a bit heavy.
7. BLACK+DECKER Family-Sized Electric Griddle with Warming Tray & Drip Tray
This Black + Decker Electric Griddle is the best pancake griddle for large families as it covers 200 square inches of griddle surface. Apart from pancakes, you can include your breakfast favorites and conveniently cook them together at once. It is proven to be nonstick, so it is easy to cook and clean. It also features a “click and lock thermostat” to adjust the temperature accordingly. This electric griddle has a warming tray to store your food temporarily and to keep them warm. Plus, a removable drip tray for easy disposal of grease and fat.
- It is made of Teflon non-stick surface, which allows for easy cleaning.
- It is best paired with a drip pan to ensure that you are not cooking pancakes, bacon, or sausages in grease.
- You can easily control the temperature through the knob. Plus, it features a temperature locking system.
- It has a short cord which needs a lot of consideration when it comes to its setup location.
8. Presto Slimline Griddle, Black, 22″
This Presto Slimline Griddle has an exceptionally large cooking surface that is perfect for serving large families. It measures 13 x 22 inches, so it is also ideal for buffet servings as well. Its premium nonstick surface allows the prevention of every chef’s nightmare —food sticking. Plus, you won’t have problems with cleaning as it has removable drip trays. This slimline griddle is made of high-quality aluminum which prevents the pan from warping after every usage.
- It has a premium nonstick surface to ensure convenient cooking and easy cleaning.
- This griddle is made of heavy cast aluminum, making it warp-proof.
- It features a control master setting where it maintains your desired temperature.
- Its slimline feature allows easy storage.
- The drip tray is not that sturdy, and it can easily be damaged. It is best to be careful when using it to ensure it lasts long.
9. Broil King PCG-10 Professional Portable Nonstick Griddle
The Broil King PCG-10 Professional Portable is the ultimate newly-released eco-friendly griddle pan with a non-stick coating feature. It has a large cooking surface of 13 x 29 x 6 inches which allows large servings of pancakes and other favorite recipes. You can freely adjust the heat to achieve your desired cooking temperature. Plus, attachments such as stainless steel backsplash, rear legs, and drip tray are removable for easy cleaning.
- It has a removable stainless steel backsplash with comfortable stainless steel handles for easy lifting.
- It comes with a removable grease tray for easy cleaning after each usage.
- Heat adjustment is convenient as you can easily do its temperature up to 400 degrees.
- The only downside for this top-notch griddle is its price. It may be too expensive compared to other best pancake griddle reviewed.
Tips for Using a Griddle Pan for Pancakes
- Griddles are always recommended for pancakes; however, they work best when the heat is evenly distributed over the surface. To do so, you need to heat your best pancake griddle slowly, from low to medium heat.
- To check if you have the right temperature in cooking pancakes, you can drop a small amount of water into your griddle. If it sizzles without completely dissolving, then it is the right temperature to cook your pancakes. If it dissolves as soon as you add it, then it’s time to lower your temperature.
- Cast Iron Griddles are the best for pancakes because they heat evenly, stay flat and nonstick. This means that you can make big batches of even cooked, soft but not mushy pancakes on a large surface.
- You can add a few tablespoons of butter or oil to your griddle to prevent pancakes from sticking, especially when your griddle is new and has less seasoning. Also, butter can add flavor to your pancakes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which oil is best for preparing pancakes?
There are two types of oil - the oil to put on the griddle and the oil to mix in the pancake mix. We are talking about the pancake mix here. It's not possible to single out a particular oil because preferences and recipes vary. One of the best options is canola oil. Inexpensive and does not change the flavor of the pancake base. Coconut oil is another oil that you can use in making pancakes. Depending on your taste preference, look for flavored or unflavored coconut oil. Grapeseed is the other type of oil that I would recommend. It's clean and light, which makes it great for making pancakes.
Is there any other way of preparing pancakes other than by using griddle pans?
This depends on whether you intend to use the oven or the stovetop. If you want to use the oven, I would recommend you stick to the griddle pans or cast iron pans, properly sprayed with nonstick spray. You can use a frying pan if you intend to make a pancakes on the stovetop.
What are the best pancake recipes?
There are many pancake recipes out there. Some exciting pancake recipes include the almond butter pancakes, which are made by using almond milk and flour along with other ingredients. You can learn how to prepare salted caramel pancakes or even zucchini pancakes. If you want a tastier pancake, try out cranberry oatmeal blender pancakes. Other options include cinnamon roll pancakes, pumpkin pancakes, pineapple pancakes, and tiramisu pancakes.
How can I avoid making pancakes that are deformed?
Making pancakes with the right shape is simple. All you need to do is put the pancake batter into a squeeze bottle. This is very important because the squeeze bottle will enable you to make virtually any shape that you want. Then you slowly squeeze the bottle, letting the pancake batter out while drawing whatever shape you want. If you intend to make small sized pancakes, you can use a clean syringe to draw in the pancake batter and then press it out.
How can I make my pancakes non-stick on the cooking pan?
Pancakes may stick to the surface of a cooking pan because of uneven heat distribution or the use of small amounts of oil that are insufficient.
Cooking pancakes on a stovetop present the challenge of heat, where you will find it hard ensuring that your pancakes get an even amount of heat on both sides.
When pancakes stick on the surface of your cooking pan they make it difficult for you to turn them.
The best way of overcoming this challenge is to use a liberal amount of oil and make sure the heat is not too hot.
Why use a griddle instead of a pan?
A pancake griddle has a flat, large cooking surface perfect for cooking pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausages, patties, and others in large quantities. Another advantage of using a griddle is its drip tray feature. It prevents the possible spillage of grease while cooking, and it is easy to clean too.
The best advantage of a griddle is its temperature control settings. It is possible to set a temperature precisely, so you can ensure to have perfect and well-cooked pancakes. There are several kinds of griddles for you to choose from. Some griddles have unique features such as LED displays to show relevant cooking information. While others have convenient reversible designs to accommodate different kitchen tasks without the need of buying more tools. Other griddles compete for their durability as well. No matter what griddle you use, you can always ensure it's worth your investment.
- Easy Basic Pancakes | https://www.marthastewart.com/338185/basic-pancakes
- How To Clean a Flat Top Griddle | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1r_XnFsV0
No Breakfast Left Behind
The tradition of serving pancakes with breakfast is primarily a North American custom. American Cookery, Amelia Simmons’ seminal, first-ever cookbook of all-American recipes, has two different recipes for preparing pancakes…
One for ‘Johnny Cakes,’ and the other for ‘Hoe Cakes.’ Though neither of these names has endured, the basic recipes have.
There is no great way to start a day than having hot and perfectly cooked pancakes. It becomes more delicious when paired with some sausages, veggies, or any of your breakfast favorites.
With so many effective models on the market, there is no reason to not begin making high quality, customized pancakes in your own kitchen. Enjoy the many varieties of pancake pleasure with your own new griddle.