In any highly-populated area, you’re going to find plenty of local businesses that specialize in emptying septic tanks, removing the sludge and scum that is the inevitable consequence of food production. Though it might not be glamorous, this is an important service—if too much sludge accumulates over the years an overflow occurs, the results of which are obviously horrible and bad news for all involved parties.
These services can also be expensive, being a necessity for every household. Generally, commercial septic pumping involves a pump truck, which removes the waste from your tank and leaves it empty and ready to be refilled. Any cost-conscious person might be wondering, how can I minimize the frequency of which I use these expensive services?
Should I use a garbage disposal if I have a septic tank?
You had a great Thanksgiving dinner, but now you have to deal with the dreaded leftovers. After all, you can only store so much in the freezer. Whatever will you do when you’re sick of eating old turkey and mashed potatoes?
Recent studies suggest that, of the roughly 27 million homes in the US that have a septic tank, only 22% choose to install a garbage disposal. The other 78% decide against a garbage disposal, likely owing to concerns that a disposal unit will damage their septic tank.
As stated by the Federal Housing Authority and other industry groups, such as the Small Flows Clearinghouse, garbage disposals work fine when paired with an appropriately-sized septic tank that is regularly maintained.
Septic tank owners also express concern over the restrictions that come with a septic garbage disposer. This doesn’t have to be the case—if you get the right model. Many disposers do not adequately grind down foods placed through them, running the risk of clogging up your system. The results could be unpleasant, to say the least.
The InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist
The InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist has a two-stage grinding system that essentially liquefies any foods you send through it. This eliminates the issue of clogging in the septic tank. The unit uses a Tri-Action Lug system and a GrindShear Ring, which work together to break down food waste.
Included with this septic assist system is a Bio-Charge enzyme treatment only available from the manufacturer. It helps break down food to ensure your septic tank does not clog by releasing millions of enzyme-producing microorganisms every time the unit is turned on. One of the better features of the unit is that it also releases a citrus smell to cover any odor that may arise from the decomposition process.
Pros and Cons
There are many pros and few cons to this unit. Let’s start with the cons. Well, there’s only one, really, and that is this unit is little on the bulky side. It’s important to ensure that you have a decent amount of space under your sink before you install it.
The pros, on the other hand, are many. Worried your unit will create a lot of horrible noise? The InSinkErator is so quiet, you won’t even know it’s in use. The disposer has an anti-vibration sink mount and tail-pipes, as well as a sink baffle. It is also built with some of the finest technology around in order to insulate the motor. Combined, these features make this the quietest septic assist on the market.
Need some good storage solutions for your leftovers? I found the best storage containers here.
Installing a unit like this can be an incredibly arduous task. Luckily, InSinkErator is famous for making units that are incredibly easy to install. This unit has “Twist-On, Twist-Off” Quick Lock mount, so all you need to do is twist off your old unit and attach the new one.
The system uses ¾ horsepower motor, but this does not come with a power cord—something you might want to consider in your budgeting for the unit. It does, however, come with a 4-year warranty. If this seems off-putting, remember that this is an “in home” warranty, so you needn’t worry about searching for a repair center.
To find the best price, visit Amazon. At $200 you’ll be getting the best possible price for a quality product. You can also purchase the necessary add-ons, such as the power cord and dishwasher connector kit, for an additional $15, making for a much easier purchasing process.
Don’t be afraid of getting a septic assist for fear of clogging. As long as you’re purchasing the best quality assist unit on the market, getting rid of food waste is as easy as using a garbage disposal! For only a small cost, you can completely eliminate the risk ruining your septic tank.
Need a garbage disposal, but don’t want to spend a lot? See the best garbage disposal for under $100!
Next… Ever wonder how long stuff lasts before you have to toss it? Check out my post on how long frozen blueberries last. Then head over here for an “apeeling” review of the best potato peeler.