What is the best electric knife?
Our choice for the best electric knife is the Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife from Amazon.
Cuisinart is one of the premier companies manufacturing high end kitchen appliances and have been a fixture in the American kitchen since 1972 when they introduced their food processor.
On the Cuisinart website, they state: Home cooks are looking for more than just a product purchase. They want cooking tips and techniques that turn products into culinary tools.
The Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife is definitely a great addition to your kitchen and is undoubtedly a culinary tool. Some people may wonder if an electric knife is an essential tool in the kitchen – many people will say “YES!”
Some tasks that can be tough for other knives are very easy for the right electric knife, tasks like:
- slicing a Thanksgiving turkey
- slicing a ultra tender brisket
- a plump and ripe watermelon
- a loaf of crusty French style bread
- succulent roast beef
- a pork loin
- juicy prime rib
- a smoked London Broil
- a grilled tri-tip
- some home-smoked and cured bacon
I say you can get by without an electric knife but some things are much easier if you have one.
The Only Way To Slice It!
Cuisinart continues its commitment to superior quality and innovation with our new state-of-the-art electric stainless steel knife.
The Cuisinart Electric Knife not only delivers high performance and great satisfaction, but is also a countertop space saver! Complete with two stainless steel blades, it’s ideal for slicing meats, loaves, and vegetables.
Also included is an ergonomic handle that’s designed for right- or left-handed people, and a solid wood butcher-block storage tray with safety lock system for storage in a drawer or on the counter.
- On/Off Control: One touch pressure activated on/off trigger control for simple operation. Convenient for left or right hand use.
- Comfort Handle: Elegant ergonomic handle reflects look and feel of fine cutlery.
- Electrical cord: 4 foot cord for maximum flexibility.
- Safety Button: One touch locks or unlocks the on/off control for safety. Keep the safety button locked when knife is not in use.
- Blade Release Buttons: Easy inserting, removing or changing blades.
- Blades: Two full size blades. (A) Carving Blade and (B) Bread blade.
- Solid Wood Butcher Block: Premium unit crafted from hardwood. For easy, attractive storage on countertop or in drawer.
- Blade Lock: Safely locks blades to wood block.
- Cord Storage: Eliminates countertop clutter.
- Base: For countertop storage.
The knife comes with two blades for different tasks:
Carving Blade: The carving blade is very versatile. In addition to slicing meats such as turkey, chicken, salami, ham and roasts, it can also be used to cut fruits like melon and pineapple, vegetables such as squash, eggplant and zucchini, as well as hard cheeses.
Bread Blade: The bread blade glides through loaves for consistent, even slicing. It can also be used to slice bagels and sandwich rolls. Blade is intended for use on bread only.
Here are a few cleaning tips for the Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife provided by Cuisinart:
- To remove the blades, unplug the knife. Lock the safety button. Squeeze the Blade Release Buttons on both sides of the handle and grasp the blades with the cutting edge away from you. Slowly pull blades out from knife handle.
- To wash, separate the blades by sliding the rivet out of the keyhole. Wash them in hot, soapy water or the dishwasher and dry thoroughly. Return to butcher block tray. Lift and turn blade lock positioning over blades and release to lock blades into position.
- Clean the handle with a slightly damp cloth and wipe dry. Insert in butcher block and hook into slits on head of handle. Wrap cord around black base area.
Pros and Cons:
The owner reviews at Amazon are favorable for the Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife, with over 350 reviews.
One of the most cited reviews by Janet E.M. states that: “The Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife is by far the best ever, and I’ve used three other brands. The knife and blades store securely in the very attractive tray and the attached cord tucks away neatly behind the stand.” In my opinion, this is a great summary.
The Cons are few but a common complaint with the owners at Amazon was the case being “flimsy.” A couple of other users mentioned that the electric motor was noisy when it was running. So your mileage may vary but overall, we say this is arguably the best electric knife on the market today.